Medical Wellness Visits
Free Medical Wellness Visits
A PLAN TO KEEP YOU HEALTHY, SAFE AND INDEPENDENT
Medicare Wellness Visits
If you are enrolled in Medicare Part B, we can help improve your health through FREE wellness visits. Medicare offers a comprehensive Welcome to Medicare visit within your first year on the plan and a FREE Annual Wellness Visit each year after. There are no deductibles or co-pays associated with these visits.
Medicare Wellness visits provide a great opportunity for you to spend time with your provider. Helping you to plan for a healthy future, wellness visits are designed to get you on a path to good health by ultimately preventing disease.
Welcome to Medicare Wellness Visit
This one-time introductory visit takes place within the first 12 months you have Medicare Part B coverage. It includes:
- A review of your medical history
- A written plan letting you know which screenings, shots, and preventive services you need
- A physical exam including height, weight, blood pressure, and a simple vision test
- Education, counseling, and referrals based on the results of your physical exam
- Review of risk factors for depression
Annual Wellness Visit
Medicare also covers a yearly wellness visit that is not a routine physical, but a planning session with your physician. You will be asked to complete a Health Risk Assessment as part of your visit in order to develop a personalized prevention plan to help you get and stay healthy. This visit is covered once every 12 months and includes:
- A review of your medical and family history
- Developing or updating a list of current providers and prescriptions
- Height, weight, blood pressure and other routine measurements
- Detection of any cognitive impairment
- Personalized health advice
- A list of risk factors and treatment options for you
- A screening schedule (similar to a checklist) for appropriate preventive services
What to Bring
Please bring the following items with you, to make the most of your wellness visits:
- Medical records, including immunization records
- Family health history to assist your doctor in determining if you’re at risk for certain diseases
- A list of prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications you are currently taking, how often you take them, and why
What Medicare Covers
You will pay nothing for these wellness visits if you have Medicare Part B coverage.
If your provider performs additional tests or services during your visit that aren’t covered under these preventive benefits, you may have to pay a co-payment and the Part B deductible may apply. Your provider will discuss recommendations for additional services and associated costs.